Tuesday 7 April 2015

How I deal with anxiety and panic attacks!

1 in 4 people suffer from anxiety! 

This is a ridiculously high statistic! Not only is it alarming but also concerning. How can so many people suffer from anxiety but yet it is still a taboo subject. Those of you who know me personally will know I am very open about my anxieties and have regular panic attacks. I've tried many things to help combat it, anti-depressants made me feel worse and made the attacks harder to deal with and added the stress of restless nights and severe mood swings. I did find talking to counsellors helpful but the university only offer so many free sessions and they are expensive. After trying calming exercises, even yoga and breathing exercises I finally found something that really worked for me!

And where did I find this... In a Netflix show called the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

It seems like a really random place to find something that helps my panic attacks, but it was a small piece of advice Kimmy gave to someone who was at the time panicking. 

If you can survive 10 seconds doing something you don't want to do, then you can do it for the rest of your life. The example in the show was when Kimmy who was kept in a bunker underground for 14 years, and had to turn a 'mysterious' crank... she did it for 10 seconds and then another and then another. When each 10 seconds is up you start with a new 10 seconds. At first I thought it was silly but then I gave it a try and it really worked. Not only for when I'm having a panic attack but when I'm jogging, or when I'm writing an assignment that looks endless or when I'm in a place that I just don't want to be. It really works.

I'm not saying it will help and work for everyone but give it a go. Next time you are doing something you hate or feeling a panic attack come on just give Kimmy Schmidt’s advice a go.


REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT ALONE! 
Please talk to someone.

https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/ ---- this website has fantastic information!


love yah 

IsThataRedHerring 

No comments:

Post a Comment